Sunday, May 27, 2012

The usual routine

Today in Sacrament meeting it was the usual routine.  I'm sitting with my brood trying to keep them quiet.  I try to sing and get at least one of my children to sing along.  I try to listen to the announcements and make a mental note of who has been sustained and released and tell myself to support them in their new callings.  The time for the sacrament comes and this is where I try to get the 3yr-old to listen to the prayers and sit quietly on the bench.  We have the sit-on-the-bench part down but listen-to-the-prayer and sit-quietly is still in the works.  At the start of every sacrament prayer since this child has been able to talk he asks me, "Who is saying the prayer?"  I attempt to answer him quickly and return to listening.  Today all went as usual except halfway through the prayer on the bread the speaker stopped and began the prayer again.  I had no idea why he had stopped and wrote it off to something rather small my very picky ears did not catch.  At the end of the prayer my 5yr-old says to me in a giggle, "He forgot it was the bread."  I had no idea what she was talking about.  After the meeting I approached the man who had said the prayer to get an idea of why my daughter would have said that.  It turned out that he had begun the prayer on the water and had said water until he was corrected and began on the right prayer.  I had been so busy getting my other child into an attitude of prayer that I had been a poor example of an attitude of prayer.  And my 5yr-old was the perfect example.  She was listening and knew the order of things well enough to know when the order was amiss.  It was humbling and gratifying.  I hope that, in the future, my opportunity to renew my covenants will not be the usual routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment