Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tip #20 - Who cares if you are right

So this has been a rough weekend.  I have RAILED continuously about one thing and then another.  I have been ranting about things in my calling (I'm a den leader - what could I possibly have to rant about?), raving about an objectionable encounter with a sales person, steaming about the price of grapes and other tedious and obviously very "important" things.   At one point my sweetest of all 7yr-olds says between sobs, "I thought it was "K" week not "F" week".  I'm guessing he meant "Kind" and "Fight" although I didn't ask.  I was trying too hard not to laugh because that would have definitely have made the matter worse.  After the great grape rape I jumped in the car, let my anger fly on the wrong people and headed down the road.  Ironically I always have the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in the CD player of my car.  Needing it just then I flipped on the music, and sweet and soothing strains filled the heated air.  Immediately my oldest says, "Whoa that's better."  A few moments later he offered, "I was getting this feeling, but now it's gone."  Until that time I had not paused to consider what it was doing to those I dearly love the most, to be showing as much anger as I was.  I felt justified because in each raucous encounter I had been right: right to be angry about a budget cut, right to be angry about an ignorant sales clerk, right to want cheaper produce (4 bucks a pound - am I wrong?).  So what if I was right.  I can be right all the way to judgement day and whine to our Lord about how right I am and how unfairly I was treated.  I am certain that He will not exonerate me and cast into the fiery pit all those who have wronged me.  I am certain He will turn my face to my five little ones who had to listen to the tirades of bitterness and He will ask me if it was worth it.  Between sobs I will ask for "F" week again - forgiveness.

1 comment:

  1. Had a lady come buy a chandelier from me off craigslist today. Long story short she homeschools too (well did, her kids are grown mostly). She kept saying how time goes so fast etc. they grow so fast etc. and I started to realize more how much I need to shape up NOW because I'm going to blink and they're gone. Thanks for the reminder, no more tirades of bitterness for me. (on a side note we have a giganto letter "F" on our chimney outside and I keep saying we need to get that f'n thing off our chimney maybe I'll leave it to remind me of my need for forgiveness)

    ReplyDelete